Some of my favorite Quotes
"Everything rises and falls on leadership." John Maxwell
"We grow great by dreams. All great men are dreamers." Woodrow Wilson (no relation)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mohatma Gandhi

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Loony tunes - a pleasant diversion

I was enjoying some late night reading when about 1:30 in the morning, I was interrupted by a loon singing out on the lake.  Soon another one joined in, then pretty soon, sound filled the air as several loons 'bantered' back and forth.  Now if you've never heard a loon sing, you're missing something special.  I have no idea what they're saying to each other, but it sure is a beautiful sound to me. I bet they have no idea how pretty their song is either, they just sing the songs they were meant to sing.  Then I got to thinking about some parallels with what Henry David Thoreau meant when he wrote, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them."  Here's what I think he meant - - -

Now I'll start again with the loons.  One loon sings pretty, but when a bunch of them join in, it's quite an oral display.  As they sung, I was so distracted, I couldn't get back into my reading.  I don't know how many loons were eventually singing or how long these loony tunes went on, but it sure was a beautiful thing to listen to.  There is such a variety of sounds that come out of their throats, it amazes me.  They can have a wide range from sort of a mourning song all the way to a chipper, energetic high pitched banter that goes on between two or more loons across the lake. Again, I have a feeling the loons are saying something when they sing, but people don't really know what they are saying.  The loons I'm sure don't really know how pretty they sound, but they just keep on singing the song that's in them. 

Now when Henry David Thoreau said "Most men . . . . go to the grave with the song still in them", I believe he was saying that most people don't understand what gifts they have or what they have to offer to others.  I think he realized that most of us don't realize what God given gifts we have to share with the world. The reality is that we all are here on Earth for a reason.  The reason each of us were put here, is something that God decided way back before we were born.  Each of us were given different gifts, therefore we were each put here for different reasons.  It's important to find the gift and we'll have to search to find it most likely.

There are many books written on this very topic and they may help us in our search to find our gift or at least get started.  One such book is one I'm reading now and is titled, "The Dream Giver" by Bruce Wilkinson.  Another one is titled, "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rich Warren.  I know there are many other books that aim to do the same thing, but these are two that I've read most recently and I recommend them both.  One of the things to keep in mind is that we will seldom find "our purpose" here on earth if we don't search for it.  Also, we'll seldom find our purpose on our own, we will most likely need help. One of the issues that I'm personally guilty of is that I'm reluctant to ask for help.  I'm certain no one will ask for help if they don't know they need it in the first place.  Most of us do need help, but don't ask.

Regardless of what our personal purpose is in this life, I'll go out on a limb and say that it involves something bigger than ourselves.  I'm sure it won't be found merely by taking care of ourselves.  The times most of us feel our best is when we've done something for someone else.  That in itself should be a clue.  We need to be willing to serve others in some way in order to fulfill our purpose, whatever that might be.  Winston Churchill said it best, "You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give." 

Just like the loon doesn't know how good its song sounds to others, most of us don't realize how our special gifts can help others.  Just like the loon keeps singing the song that's within them, we too have to keep singing the song that's within us, assuming we've found it.  This takes courage and persistence, which we may need to ask for help with also. There are resources available if we are looking, and we should all at least be looking.  Most of us however don't feel we're smart enough, or talented enough to make a difference.  With regard to that it's important to realize that talent is over rated.  More on this topic at a later date.

Former President Calvin Coolidge said it best with this, "Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 30, 2011

    I'm loving your blog, Dad. You seem to be writing all of these (indirectly) to me, and they're just what I need to hear. I do miss the loons singing...I seem to wake up to the ravens cawing more often then not, and they just don't sound as majestic - more like an awful alarm clock.

    ReplyDelete